DUMFRIES: Rosefield Mills, opened in 1885 by Charteris Spence & Co., were the largest tweed mills in Dumfries. It has a frontage resembling the Doge’s Palace in Venice, apparently built in 1886 before Templeton’s in Glasgow (1889). Tweed production ceased around the 1930s and the mill buildings were adapted to other uses, but have been decaying for many years.

Now the Dumfries Historic Buildings Trust is urgently appealing for funds to acquire and restore the mill. The trust would be most grateful to hear from anyone who is able to support them with funds – donations or loans – for the purchase and restoration of this building, to ensure it has a secure future and will become a useful building once again, and an asset to the town of Dumfries.


Donations eligible for Gift Aid mean the trust can claim a further donation from HMRC. Please ask them for a Donation and Gift Aid Declaration Form, or find the trust on Facebook. DHBT is a registered Scottish Charity, SC042851. Please contact the trust by email if you can help in any way with this project, at: mail@dumfriestrust.org.uk