BALLATER RAILWAY STATION: work started in February 2017 on its reinstatement after a 2015 fire which had been devastating as the building is wooden. A £3 million plan by Aberdeenshire Council to reinstate the building, has support from Historic Environment Scotland’s Building Repair Grants scheme. The familiar swan-necked iron lamps, the porte-cochere (covered entrance way), and outstanding decoration including stained glass will be restored.
Ballater Railway Station was opened in October 1866 by the Great North of Scotland Railway, and played a crucial part in the growth of Ballater. The building ceased to be used as a rail station in 1966, but since 2001 had housed a tourist centre, shops and a restaurant. The council’s wider plan will reinstate these features, and includes a new exhibition space extending along the old platform.